X Fonts

Nicholas Leippe nick at byu.edu
Tue Jun 7 12:28:52 MDT 2005

On Tuesday 07 June 2005 12:06 pm, Von Fugal wrote:
> Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. I pulled my trigonometry skills out of
> the closet and dusted them off. I did some calculations and it turns out
> that those numbers were nearly right on (assuming 15" display is 15" of
> actual display) and in fact the horizontal number was low. So my real
> DPI is in fact 146x163 (widescreen)
> Still, this doesn't suit me. I want smaller fonts and by Grapthars
> Hammer I will get them. So I guess I'll just lie about my display size?
> Unless.... there's some way to change the preffered font size for all
> applications or at least for GTK apps.

Are you pushing a 15" monitor to 1900 or is this an LCD?

You may try some foolery with /etc/X11/fs/config but that's beyond my
knowledge.

The 'right' way to do it is to not lie to the software and figure out how to
tell your apps what font sizes to use.  X has appdefaults stuff, which I
never learned how to use.  I don't use gnome.  The 'right' way is not always
the practical or easy way.  This may be one of those cases.

--
Respectfully,

Nicholas Leippe
Sales Team Automation, LLC