X Fonts

Von Fugal von at fugal.net
Tue Jun 7 12:06:55 MDT 2005

* Nicholas Leippe [Tue,  7 Jun 2005 at 11:31 -0600]
<quote>
> On Tuesday 07 June 2005 11:23 am, Von Fugal wrote:
> > * Hans Fugal [Tue,  7 Jun 2005 at 11:15 -0600]
> >
> > > DPI is dots per inch. The nvidia driver is calculating your DPI as 147,
> > > because it thinks your display has 147 dots per inch. That number is
> > > only ludicrous if your display doesn't have anywhere near 147 dots per
> > > inch.
> >
> > So does that mean that DisplaySize is the physical size of the display?
> > If so, in what measurement?
>
> I've seen log outputs in cm or mm before. It should be available from the dpms
> info, but I think you can also force it in the config file.  The more
> accurate information the X server has, the better display quality you should
> get w/regards to correct font sizing.  If your dpms is wrong/buggy, then
> forcing it would be the best option IMO.  (realize, that your monitor's dpi
> should change with your resolution setting)
>
> A 19" monitor at 1900 pixels should be around 125 dpi in the X direction.
> A 17" monitor at 1900 pixels should be around 139.
> 147 does seem a bit high--it'd be great to have a monitor with that kind of
> precision.

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. I pulled my trigonometry skills out of
the closet and dusted them off. I did some calculations and it turns out
that those numbers were nearly right on (assuming 15" display is 15" of
actual display) and in fact the horizontal number was low. So my real
DPI is in fact 146x163 (widescreen)
Still, this doesn't suit me. I want smaller fonts and by Grapthars
Hammer I will get them. So I guess I'll just lie about my display size?
Unless.... there's some way to change the preffered font size for all
applications or at least for GTK apps.

Von Fugal