X Fonts

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Tue Jun 7 11:15:47 MDT 2005

On Tue,  7 Jun 2005 at 10:48 -0600, Von Fugal wrote:
> * Hans Fugal [Tue,  7 Jun 2005 at 10:44 -0600]
> > You might also look at maybe needing fonts to match the DPI. There are
> > different font sets to match 75dpi and 100dpi, at least. If you're using
> > the 75dpi fonts at 147dpi, they're going to be the wronge size.
>
> That's not the problem. Like I said, works just fine with the stock
> driver, and now with the -dpi option. It's just that the dpi is set to

That's because you have a dpi to match your font.

> the rediculous 147. I mean, that there is a fat font. I can only assume
> it's the driver assuming I want a more readable font given my 1920x1200
> display, but 147 is overkill, IM(NS)HO

DPI is dots per inch. The nvidia driver is calculating your DPI as 147,
because it thinks your display has 147 dots per inch. That number is
only ludicrous if your display doesn't have anywhere near 147 dots per
inch.

The idea is that a font size is roughly the same no matter what your DPI
is, so the statement "I can read 12pt fine but 8pt is too small for my
poor eyes" means something. Of course in your case, that would be "I can
read 4pt fine, but 2pt is just too small for me." ;-)