Intel vs. Cell technology (was RE: Hell has frozen over)

Nicholas Leippe nick at
Tue Jun 7 07:28:25 MDT 2005

On Tuesday 07 June 2005 07:22 am, JStay at wrote:
> I'm not stating that they will duplicate Sony's architecture, but rather
> that they will come up with some other architecture that can compete at
> Sony (and IBM)'s level.  That is, only if Sony can drive up competition
> for Intel.  At the moment this is only in the games market, so we'll see
> what happens.

This is not only in the games market.  The cell cpu was not designed solely
for games.  In fact, it was designed specifically with hdtv in mind--it has
the exact number of ALUs necessary to process an hdtv stream.  IOW, besides
the PS3, they are gunning for the embedded market, set tops, etc.  Can you
imagine having a cell phone with one of these babies?

AFAIK, the set top and embedded markets are far more valuable than the gaming
(video cards) and game console markets.

Nicholas Leippe
Sales Team Automation, LLC
1335 West 1650 North, Suite C