Intel vs. Cell technology (was RE: Hell has frozen over)

Nicholas Leippe nick at byu.edu
Tue Jun 7 07:28:25 MDT 2005

On Tuesday 07 June 2005 07:22 am, JStay at mediageneral.com wrote:
> I'm not stating that they will duplicate Sony's architecture, but rather
> that they will come up with some other architecture that can compete at
> Sony (and IBM)'s level.  That is, only if Sony can drive up competition
> for Intel.  At the moment this is only in the games market, so we'll see
> what happens.

This is not only in the games market.  The cell cpu was not designed solely
for games.  In fact, it was designed specifically with hdtv in mind--it has
the exact number of ALUs necessary to process an hdtv stream.  IOW, besides
the PS3, they are gunning for the embedded market, set tops, etc.  Can you
imagine having a cell phone with one of these babies?

AFAIK, the set top and embedded markets are far more valuable than the gaming
(video cards) and game console markets.

--
Respectfully,

Nicholas Leippe