Hell has frozen over

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 14:08:30 MDT 2005

> Yes but Apple was never an OS or software company.  They have always
> been a Hardware company.  Do you honestly think they want to take on,
> and can take on, Dell+Wintel?  I really don't think so.  The moment
> Apple becomes just an OS/Software company is the moment they lose.

I don't think so.  Consider that Dell (or PC vendor X) has to pay a
Microsoft tax for each machine they sell.  I don't expect Apple to be
as cheap as Dell because I'm sure they'll use priemum components, but
if all things were equal hardware wise, the Apple machine could
actually cost less.  Really it's Dell and everyone else who has to pay
for Windows who have no chance of competing if Apple were to move to
cut throat prices...  But that will never happen, I'm sure Apple will
just soak up a higher profit margin knowing they sell the best PC
hardware money can buy.  Either way, my next PC will be an Apple.

-Bryan