actiontec, qworst, and unhappiness

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Fri Jun 3 13:24:33 MDT 2005

On Fri,  3 Jun 2005 at 14:50 -0400, Glen Wagley wrote:
> On Fri,  3 Jun 2005 at 11:43 -0600, Hans Fugal scribbled:
> >My actiontec (the wireless one that qwest rents these days) hasn't
> >needed attention for a couple of months. I don't know if it's just luck,
> >or if it has to do with my doing pppoe in linux and not on the modem.
> >(your ISP needs to support this - you _are_ using xmission right?)
> >
> Doh! I'm using CSolutions actually. I believe they use PPPoA (someone correct me
> if I'm wrong). The router I have (a ghetto SMC barricade) only handles PPPoE so
>     I had to setup the Actiontec to be a bridge only.

So you're saying the Actiontec is just doing bridging and isn't doing
PPPo[AE]? In that case, my suggestion is moot.

> What is the trick to
>     getting Qwest to send a replacement? Locking up a few times a week doesn't
>     seem to be a big deal to them...

Well in my case the modem went out to lunch permanently. Completely
fried. I called up, jumped through their hoops until they were satisfied
that the modem was hosed, and then we did the RMA thing.