actiontec, qworst, and unhappiness

Lonnie Olson fungus at aros.net
Fri Jun 3 12:36:03 MDT 2005

On Jun 3, 2005, at 10:06 AM, Brandon Beattie wrote:
> A Cisco 678 won't be the perfect solution either.  I'm not familiar
> with
> the Actiontecs and what is going wrong, but I know of a problem with
> the Cisco's that is very similar.  I have a friend who owns an ISP and
> verified that some ISP Cisco routers when rebooted will cause the
> subscribers DSL modems to stop working until they are also
> rebooted.  I
> think there is a work around, or a way to avoid this but it sounds
> like
> it is on the ISP side.  I have C-Solutions and have had the modem
> hang a
> half dozen times.  I know with other ISPs it happens much more often.
> It sounds though like it's when something specific is done on the
> ISP's
> router though, when it is rebooted or if something else is done to
> it.  You can try another modem and it may be better, but from my
> experience, a Cisco 678 still will have problems.

Actually this is not the same issue with the Actiontec 152x series.
At least I am assuming that your problem is the same as mine.

My Actiontec will *completely* lock up every few weeks, preventing
all WAN and LAN traffic to it.  I cannot use the Web based admin
tool.  The only option is to powercycle.  This has absolutely nothing
to do with the router at the ISP.  I know because I am a sysadmin at
my ISP and know for a fact that it hasn't rebooted.  Also the re-
training cannot fix it, because it is a *complete* lock up.  re-
training will only fix a problem when your DSL signal is interrupted.

I have spoken to the tech support agents at length and they say they
have had much fewer complaints about the newer wireless-builtin
Actiontec models.  Cisco 678's can be hard to come by.  The Sangoma
[1] card looks promising if you want to build your own router.  I
have heard good things about the Zoom [2] modems.  I have a friend
that has a Cisco 827-4V ADSL router[3], he says it is amazing (real
IOS router) but a bit pricey.

[1] http://www.sangoma.com/products/p_adsl_cards.htm
[2] http://www.zoom.com/products/adsl_overview.html
[3] http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/ps394/