actiontec, qworst, and unhappiness

Brandon Beattie brandon+plug at beatties.us
Fri Jun 3 10:06:45 MDT 2005

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 11:51:07AM -0400, Glen Wagley wrote:
> I contacted the Utopia folks a couple of weeks ago and it looks like my part of
> Orem won't be getting service until next year. I'm stuck with qwest dsl until
> then. I have the infamous actiontec modem which I loathe. About once or twice a
> week (and always while I'm at work), I'll notice that I can't ssh into my box at
> home. I then ping the modem (which I have setup as a gateway) and of course it
> has frozen. I then call my wife and kindly ask her to unplug the stupid thing
> and plug it back in. This has bitten me a few times when I needed to drag some
> files off that box remotely. Qwest claims that this is normal. Barring the fact
> that I need to get a Cisco 678, what else can I do to keep this stupid actiontec
> up? Is there any way that I could have a machine ping the thing every so often,
> and kick off something that would powercycle it when needed?

A Cisco 678 won't be the perfect solution either.  I'm not familiar with
the Actiontecs and what is going wrong, but I know of a problem with
the Cisco's that is very similar.  I have a friend who owns an ISP and
verified that some ISP Cisco routers when rebooted will cause the
subscribers DSL modems to stop working until they are also rebooted.  I
think there is a work around, or a way to avoid this but it sounds like
it is on the ISP side.  I have C-Solutions and have had the modem hang a
half dozen times.  I know with other ISPs it happens much more often.
It sounds though like it's when something specific is done on the ISP's
router though, when it is rebooted or if something else is done to
it.  You can try another modem and it may be better, but from my
experience, a Cisco 678 still will have problems.

I should also note that twice when the power has gone out qwest's
local (few streets away) hardware isn't on UPS's and will go down.  If
my hardware stays up on UPS's I still have to reboot the modem after
qwests hardware comes back up, to get the modem working again.

--Brandon