actiontec, qworst, and unhappiness

Glen Wagley gwagley at wagdog.net
Fri Jun 3 09:51:07 MDT 2005

I contacted the Utopia folks a couple of weeks ago and it looks like my part of
Orem won't be getting service until next year. I'm stuck with qwest dsl until
then. I have the infamous actiontec modem which I loathe. About once or twice a
week (and always while I'm at work), I'll notice that I can't ssh into my box at
home. I then ping the modem (which I have setup as a gateway) and of course it
has frozen. I then call my wife and kindly ask her to unplug the stupid thing
and plug it back in. This has bitten me a few times when I needed to drag some
files off that box remotely. Qwest claims that this is normal. Barring the fact
that I need to get a Cisco 678, what else can I do to keep this stupid actiontec
up? Is there any way that I could have a machine ping the thing every so often,
and kick off something that would powercycle it when needed?

--
Glen Wagley <gwagley at wagdog.net>