Fedora Directory Server

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Wed Jun 1 14:47:34 MDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 14:30 -0600, Michael L Torrie wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 17:26 +0000, Gabriel Gunderson wrote:
> > This is kinda a big deal and cool to see:
> >
> > http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Main_Page
> >
> > $5 to the first person the make it work with Hula.
>
> So this is Netscape's directory?

Correct. Redhat purchased it in December 2004. It's derived from U
Michigan's slapd just like OpenLDAP although both have obviously grown
up from then.

It's just recently been open sourced but not all the pieces are
finished. Apparently it doesn't build from the source RPM because of a
dependence on some external binary objects. They do plan to eventually
open all the code, and given Redhat's track record I believe them.

The multi-master is obviously cool. It also stores the schema inside the
directory so that changes can be made one time and are replicated to all
masters and slaves. That would be fun.

But I'm pretty sure we'll be sticking with OpenLDAP.

Corey