DVD Burner recommendations?

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Sat Jul 30 10:14:12 MDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-30 at 07:41 -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
> Well, as a DVD+RW, this setup is a bust. It will burn part of the
> image, say 510 out of 527 MB. I tried it on a different machine, but
> it's a USB 1 machine. The pilot light cycled on & off. The software
> claimed it got a good write, but comparing the data with the DVD
> failed.

Could be a defective drive. That's for sure.  I've yet to get a bad burn
with my USB setup (or the internal one on my other PC), even with usb
1.1.  With usb 1.1 the DVD write speed was really bad for me (like 0.3x)
but it did work.

> I took the two CD-RWs I had not gotten good burns on back to my other
> machine with a CD burner. It erased and burned both of them just fine.
>
> Next step is to try other media. Then I may take the thing out of the
> USB clamshell and install it on a testbed machine.

It is possible that the clamshell is having problems.  There are lots of
other clamshells that would also work, so if this one is defective,
trade it in for a different one.  Testing it inside a computer is a
great plan.

If the drive is bad, there is the NEC 3540 that is  slightly faster, has
newer firmware, etc.