DVD Burner recommendations?

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Sat Jul 30 07:41:55 MDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 11:12:09AM -0600, Charles Curley wrote:

> > > Croggling! What did you use for the USB enclosure?
> >
> > This is the one we currently use, although almost all the enclosures
> > work well:
> >
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817155216
>
> Thanks!
>
> I ordered both, and they showed up yesterday. I has a slight glitch
> with the shell: I figured out the correct way to open it up, but I
> wasn't sure and didn't want to break the tabs. I didn't.
>
> I also managed to bend the LED legs while I was installing the DVD
> drive, but it was easy enough to get those straightened out. The way
> to avoid that is to put the DVD drive on a big fat book while you
> attach it to the bottom of the shell.
>
> Linux found the burner with no problems. I then installed k3b, which
> recognized the burner all by itself.
>
> I then tried burning the latest Knoppix on two CD-RWs. Both
> failed. I'm going to try them on my CD burner. It has consistently
> produced good CD-RWs with these, Memorex. (In fact, I've had good
> enough results with the Memorex CD-RWs that I ordered Memorex
> DVD+RWs.)
>
> Next step is to try a DVD+RW, and see if I can get good burns with
> these two CD-RWs on my CD burner.

Well, as a DVD+RW, this setup is a bust. It will burn part of the
image, say 510 out of 527 MB. I tried it on a different machine, but
it's a USB 1 machine. The pilot light cycled on & off. The software
claimed it got a good write, but comparing the data with the DVD
failed.

I took the two CD-RWs I had not gotten good burns on back to my other
machine with a CD burner. It erased and burned both of them just fine.

Next step is to try other media. Then I may take the thing out of the
USB clamshell and install it on a testbed machine.