Novell CLE 9 certification and getting the babes!

Michael Halcrow mike at halcrow.us
Fri Jul 29 20:28:28 MDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 10:15:12AM -0600, Roberto Mello wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 03:44:48PM -0600, Gabriel Gunderson wrote:
> > I just received an email from Novel on the CLE.  I followed the link [1]
> > and I'm so distracted by the typically dumb corporate imagery [2] used
> > on the page that I can't even read the article.
> >
> > What is that picture saying anyway?
> >
> > How about...
> > "I've earned the CLE and now all the office babes can't keep their eyes
> > off me and my teeth are whiter too!"
>
> More likely this is what happenned:
>
> * Designed page is put on the web targeted at people running Linux, who
>   don't like suits, don't wear ties, and usually don't artifically whiten
>   their teeth.

This segways nicely into the ending comments at the Ottawa Linux
Symposium this year. The Linux community has been in a funky
transitional phase over the last several years, and the phenomenon is
humorous to witness.

The OLS crowd seems to polarize into two camps: the hard-core street
hackers and the hard-core Fortune 500 engineers. Many of the Fortune
500 engineers tend to be former street hackers who return to their
nostalgic ``roots'' when they get into the OLS crowd. Last Saturday,
they made a special announcement late in the day to remind everyone
who were zoned out due to hangovers about a schedule change.

So imagine sitting in a room with hundreds of people, mainly composed
of either hard core liberal freelance Linux hackers or conservative
clean-cut engineers/managers from AMD, IBM, Intel, EMC, Novell,
etc. Dave Jones finishes his comments, and a conference coodinator
stands up to give his closing comments for the symposium. They
included:

 - Thanks for nobody getting arrested this year (apparently, an OLS
   attendee last year managed to get himself picked up by the Ottawa
   police and the conference coordinators got a phone call at 3:00
   a.m. from the authorities asking, ``Does this belong to you?'').

 - The local hotel would like to underscore their appreciation for the
   business of the OLS patrons, but ``please keep your clothes on when
   you are in the hallways.''

 - Several attendees have requested that some of Ottawa's more... er,
   ``exotic''... business establishments be mentioned in the printed
   venue for next year. The conference coordinators said that they
   would have to think over that one.

 - Please don't bring any of your ``special'' friends to the final
   beer-bash at the end of the conference; conference attendees only
   are invited.

Almost as fun as DefCon! ;-)

The audio proceedings should be posted before too long; I'll keep
y'all posted.

Mike
Friends don't let friends do Windows.