DVD Burner recommendations?

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Fri Jul 29 11:12:09 MDT 2005

On Sun, Jul 24, 2005 at 06:43:48PM -0600, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 18:24 -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
> > > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152039
> > >
> > > I've had great luck with the NEC 3520A.  It can write practically
> > > anything.  It handles all media types currently available.  At work we
> > > stuck one of these into a USB enclosure and it works wonderfully under
> > > linux using K3B.  Highly recommended.  And the price is right, under
> > > $40.  Amazing!
> >
> > Croggling! What did you use for the USB enclosure?
>
> This is the one we currently use, although almost all the enclosures
> work well:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817155216

Thanks!

I ordered both, and they showed up yesterday. I has a slight glitch
with the shell: I figured out the correct way to open it up, but I
wasn't sure and didn't want to break the tabs. I didn't.

I also managed to bend the LED legs while I was installing the DVD
drive, but it was easy enough to get those straightened out. The way
to avoid that is to put the DVD drive on a big fat book while you
attach it to the bottom of the shell.

Linux found the burner with no problems. I then installed k3b, which
recognized the burner all by itself.

I then tried burning the latest Knoppix on two CD-RWs. Both
failed. I'm going to try them on my CD burner. It has consistently
produced good CD-RWs with these, Memorex. (In fact, I've had good
enough results with the Memorex CD-RWs that I ordered Memorex
DVD+RWs.)

Next step is to try a DVD+RW, and see if I can get good burns with
these two CD-RWs on my CD burner.