DVD Burner recommendations?

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Sun Jul 24 18:00:10 MDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 16:21 -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
> Any DVD Burner recommendations? Reliability is my major concern.
>
> I'd like a USB external DVD burner. It has to play with Linux Fedora
> Core 3 & 4, kernels 2.6.11 & up, and K3B. It should be capable of
> writing all the major DVD formats. I wasn to burn write-once and
> erasable media. I have not bought any media, so I'm not locked into
> anything.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152039

I've had great luck with the NEC 3520A.  It can write practically
anything.  It handles all media types currently available.  At work we
stuck one of these into a USB enclosure and it works wonderfully under
linux using K3B.  Highly recommended.  And the price is right, under
$40.  Amazing!

> Anything I should avoid?

Anything by Sony!