Languages and Books

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Sat Jul 23 08:55:08 MDT 2005

I know I'm late chiming in here, but here goes. You've heard enough
about how GE is good for you so I won't belabor the point. You indicated
that you had all or most of an associates in CS - you've already done
the "hard" part! (in relation to GE) Now go do the fun stuff.

Yes, you'll have more GE to fulfill, but the general pattern is more GE
at the beginning, more CS at the end. Even in CS, the general theory
and so forth is front loaded, and many find this less fun. In fact it is
this which makes a university education so much more important. For
example, unless you're Levi, when else are you going to learn a
lisp-like language? (Actually Levi has been through part of the
university experience and even he would probably not be into Lisp if he
hadn't)

The further along you get, the more time you spend in CS (unless you're
unwise and put off all your GEs), and the more interesting those CS
classes get (although that AI class may be less important overall than
that software design class you took as a sophomore)