Languages and Books

Josh Coates jcoates at archive.org
Fri Jul 22 15:25:19 MDT 2005

>What about technical schools like ITT.
>Not them specifically, but the type.

<insensitive generalization>
those 2-4 year 'tech schools' are a complete waste of time and money.
</insensitive generalization>

>I'm just trying to determine if I came accross
>really poor programs or if that is just how it is
>everywhere.

most schools have their degree requirements online.  go read them.
most cs departments have their requirements online.  go read them.

i mean, go read like 10, from different parts of the country.  you'll see
the trend.

but the short answer is, your course load will be very, very cs heavy once
you get into the major - but if you are just starting out as freshman, your
first year may have a bunch of non-cs courses.  this is not a big deal, it's
part of a university education and you should try and enjoy the opportunity
at being 'forced' to take rhetoric, history etc. while you are pursuing an
engineering degree.  part of the difference between a university education
and a self-education is that you are 'forced' to take courses you hate, but
that are good for you.  another part of university education is that you are
surrounded by people that are as good or better than you, and they are
competing with you.  you just can't replace that with evening and weekend
study on your own.

i have been in the position of hiring many, many engineers, and interviewing
many times more than that.  the first thing i look at is where (if) they
went to school, and where they worked last.  this is a typical method of
skimming resumes because it generally produces good results.

i don't mean to drone on - i'm just very passionate about this.  my
university education has given me, and so many people i know, so, so much in
this field we're in.  so from my point of view, the answer is crystal clear
- in my opinion, it's like people asking "should i learn to read or do you
think i can just pick it up on my own and get a job" - so i can't help but
go off about it, especially when people actually have options and
consciously opt *not* to go to a university.

whew.  anyway, just trying to help out.  ;-)

Josh Coates
www.jcoates.org