Languages and Books

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Fri Jul 22 15:17:28 MDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 15:04 -0600, Eric Jensen wrote:
> And I totally agree on this point, I even stated I felt general
> education was important.  But is only 1/3 or even 1/4 of your classes
> load relating to your major really that common?  Many of you have
> degrees, so was your program that off balance?  What about technical
> schools like ITT.  Not them specifically, but the type.  I'm just trying
> to determine if I came accross really poor programs or if that is just
> how it is everywhere.

A good program is either 1) good enough to be accredited and therefore
required to include a significant amount of "other stuff" or 2) so good
it doesn't need accredidation, in which case they probably already
realize the need to ensure their students are "well rounded".

Tech. schools are good ways to get in and get out, but they produce more
narrowly focused people. You run the risk of having to return at some
point to retrain. I've met plenty of Art or Music majors in a wide range
of fields. I've met far few tech. school grads in fields outside their
original training.

ITT is better than nothing... in some cases. But it isn't going to care
is much weight in as many situations as a degree from a more traditional
university.

Stuart Jansen                   e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org

using enough of it." - Chris Maden