Languages and Books

Brad Dorner bdorner at novell.com
Fri Jul 22 14:58:11 MDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 14:43 -0600, Josh Coates wrote:
> >Point being, it is difficult for me to go through
> >that much misery for so little CS education.
> >I would rather spend 3 years studying what actually
> >helps my career choice.
>
> >Am I just wrong on this?
>
> yes.
>
> Josh Coates
> www.jcoates.org

I once had a boss who said "It doesn't matter what the degree is in,
what matters is that you were able to get through it." The context of
that conversation was that once a person got the degree it proved they
could stick with something and finish. The next step was did they know
how to do the job, that's what the interview was for.

Now there are plenty of flaws in that philosophy, but the degree gets
you in the door.

Now to respond to the am I wrong statement. I've been working with
computers for over 20 years. There have been a lot of times where I wish
I had paid attention to the now computer related classes. It rounds you
out, helps you relate to others, and in general make a person easier to
work with and relate to in a group environment.

Computer are lousy at conversation and at be your boss,

Brad