redundant NICs

Lars Rasmussen lars.rasmussen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 13:22:09 MDT 2005

On 7/22/05, Hans Fugal <hans at fugal.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 at 22:01 -0600, Lars Rasmussen wrote:
> > I don't know how to do this with one server and 2 NICs.  I'd be more
> > worried about fan, power supply, or hard drive failure(all moving
> > parts)than NIC failure.
>
> All redundant already, and I've seen two NICs fail in important boxes in
> the past year, tying for first place with power supplies.

Are you inferring that NICs are as prone to failure as power supplies?
 There must be some extenuating circumstances as to what you've
experienced in the past year.  Saying NICs are as prone to failure as
power supplies would be hard to back up by sampling MTBF data, even
with power supply companies grossly inflating their numbers.

One could limit sample data to their experience... In your case 100%
of NICs have failed out of the 2 sampled, in less than 10 years!
(guessing)

> Sounds interesting, but it looks like bonding will do the trick.

Sounds like bonding is a better solution for your scenario.
--
Lars