Fedora Core 4 Yum and Playboy?

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 12:40:45 MDT 2005

On 7/21/05, Gabriel Gunderson <gabe at gundy.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 10:29 -0600, Doran Barton wrote:
> I still think it has a long way to go.  It is *getting* there but
> apt-get still takes it.

Agreed.  I use Yum because it is there by default and does the job,
but it's still not as nice as apt4rpm.  I think the output format of
apt is better and I'm not aware of a Yum front-end that is as nice as
Synaptic.  Further, Yum forces you to freshen the list of packages on
repositories before you can do anything.  Apt doesn't force you to
update unless you want to -- it will use a local snapshot of the
packages previously downloaded from the repositories.  This is nice
for searching for a package, etc.

Yum on the other hand:

# yum search cups

Yea!  I get to wait 500 years for yum to download the remote packge
list before it peforms my stupid search.

Yum isn't yummy yet.

-Bryan