Languages and Books

Brad Dorner bdorner at novell.com
Fri Jul 22 12:14:48 MDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 11:34 -0600, Ned Hanks wrote:
> On 7/22/05, Jason Hall <jason at infogenix.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday 21 July 2005 06:30 pm, Josh Coates wrote:
> > > it seems to me that it is an all to common road the people take here - they
> > > don't want to pay their dues by working their butts off in a hard school
> > > for four years, and *then* go get an awesome job and tackle the next stage
> > > of their career.
> >
> > Probably because it is next to impossible to actually *do* here.  Almost no
> > local company seems to be willing to pay for a good education in an employee.
> > THings are getting better, but most local places go for the sweatshop/just
> > enough attitude.
> >

> Thats me.  Lots of experience, education, but nobody wants that.  Only
> looking for a few years experience, some don't even want a college
> degreee.

The long and short is GET the degree - if you can.

It may not, but probably will, make you a better engineer. It will open
up many more doors to you in the future. Without the degree you must
find another way to prove yourself. Proving yourself is much more
difficult then showing a diploma.

I have seen programmers where the one without the degree was a much
better programmer but was not able to get the job because of the prove
it to me issue. I saw another person with a degree in international
business get a job as a programmer because he said he could program and
had a degree even though it had nothing to do with programming. I have
also seen people, note I didn't say programmer or engineer, who have
degrees in computer science who couldn't tell the difference between a
network drive and a local one. They kept deleting data off of the
network drives. Once they had to look for new work they found one fairly
quickly because they had a degree.

The piece of paper will allow you to get into doors. From there keeping
the job will depend on what you know. How long you keep the job will be
influenced by how well you know what you are doing.

If you for some reason can't go back to school full time, try doing it
part time. There are a lot of very good educational programs, and even
more bad ones, that can you get the degree. As mentioned before get the
degree from the best school you can. Joe's diploma mill won't help much.

If you can't go to school, which is unlikely given the options available
today, then start working on your proof. It will take longer to develop
then the degree and will still not please everyone.

Good luck,
Brad