redundant NICs

Lars Rasmussen lars.rasmussen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 22:01:37 MDT 2005

On 7/21/05, Hans Fugal <hans at fugal.net> wrote:
> 1 Server, 1 IP, 2 NICs.  Load balancing would be nice, redundancy is the
> primary goal. i.e. if a NIC dies, life goes on over the alternate NIC
> without interruption.
>
> Google points me towards bonding the NICs
> (Documentation/networking/bonding.txt) but I wondered if anyone had done
> this and what approach you took.

Hans,

I don't know how to do this with one server and 2 NICs.  I'd be more
worried about fan, power supply, or hard drive failure(all moving
parts)than NIC failure.  With 2 servers you can setup CARP with a
virtual IP as the internal gateway for high availability.  If one of
the interfaces dies or one server goes down, the other takes over, and
the gateway IP is always the same.   pfSense (http://www.pfsense.com/)
will do this - get version 70.8 or later.  It's based on FreeBSD 6 -
and can boot off a LiveCD initially.  You can opt to install to a hard
drive, CF card with IDE bridge, or use Soekris/PC Engines Wrap (no
moving parts) boards.

Did I mention you get traffic shaping(QoS) as well?

Check #pfsense on freenode IRC to ask the developers questions.

--
Lars