redundant NICs

Steve Jibson steve at jibson.com
Thu Jul 21 21:56:44 MDT 2005

BARRY!!!

ok... here's the setup for the bonded interface on the private side of
the box.  We have eth0 and eth2 bonded together to make bond0.  I've got
the IP address hard coded here.  I've had mixed results trying DHCP with
a bonded interface.

--------------------

/etc/modprobe.conf (portions):

alias eth0 e1000
alias eth1 e1000
alias eth2 e1000
alias eth3 e1000
alias bond0 bonding
alias bond1 bonding
options bond0 miimon=100 mode=1 max_bonds=4
options bond1 -o bonding1 miimon=100 mode=1

--------------------

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-bond0:

DEVICE=bond0
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
USERCTL=no
IPADDR=192.168.0.2
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.0.0
BROADCAST=192.168.0.255

--------------------

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
MASTER=bond0
SLAVE=yes
USERCTL=no

--------------------

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth2:

DEVICE=eth2
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
MASTER=bond0
SLAVE=yes
USERCTL=no

--------------------

The other bonded interface is similar, using eth1 & eth3 bonded into bond0.

And... just for fun, you can check you bond status with:

cat /proc/net/bonding/bond0

-------My Output:-------

Ethernet Channel Bonding Driver: v2.6.1 (October 29, 2004)

Bonding Mode: fault-tolerance (active-backup)
Primary Slave: None
Currently Active Slave: eth0
MII Status: up
MII Polling Interval (ms): 100
Up Delay (ms): 0
Down Delay (ms): 0

Slave Interface: eth0
MII Status: up
Link Failure Count: 2
Permanent HW addr: 00:04:23:ad:ca:ae

Slave Interface: eth2
MII Status: up
Link Failure Count: 3
Permanent HW addr: 00:04:23:ad:ca:da

And now I'm off to write a nagios plugin for checking the status of my
bonded interface :-)