Languages and Books

Josh Coates jcoates at archive.org
Thu Jul 21 18:30:04 MDT 2005

>I have a great technology job and have grown a lot in just a matter of
months.
>I am thinking of doing some school though, just not full time.  If anybody
has
>any recommendations for classes in Utah schools I think that would be
great.

not to lay it on too thick or anything, but this is *exactly* what you
*shouldn't* do.

it seems to me that it is an all to common road the people take here - they
don't want to pay their dues by working their butts off in a hard school for
four years, and *then* go get an awesome job and tackle the next stage of
their career.

they want to take a short cut and take a few classes here and there while
working full time - inevitably they end up mediocre results.  i can't
emphasize enough what a bad idea this is.  this *will* stunt your growth -
just suck it up, get through school and don't take short cuts.  focus on one
thing at a time: first education, next career.  one business good business,
two business bad business.  wax on, wax off.  paint the fence. focus.  ya
know? ;-)

anyway, do what you think is best, but i suggest making a long term, focused
investment in yourself rather than 'quick fix' or 'have my cake and eat it
too' solutions.

Josh Coates
www.jcoates.org