Yum vs Apt (was Re: Fedora Core 4 Yum and Playboy?)

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Thu Jul 21 16:16:29 MDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 12:47:40PM -0600, Doran Barton wrote:

> I've had some people reply to me off-list (what's up with that?!) about
> this comment saying that apt4rpm is much faster than yum. If you were using
> yum w/ FC4 you wouldn't be saying that.

I am and I still say it.

> Lo and behold, all those packages come down and get installed along with
> any dependencies. And, it aint slow (anymore).

It is for me.

I haven't tried apt4rpm on Cedora Fore yet, but I have FC3 and FC4 at
home, and apt-get update and apt-cache search is WAY faster than 'yum
search' using the same repositories.  Especially if it's been a week
or 2 and there are lots of updates.  I'm talking 10-15 minutes with
yum on FC4, seconds on FC3 with apt4rpm.

I like the features of yum, but it updates headers slower for me.

Barry