Languages and Books

Josh Coates jcoates at archive.org
Thu Jul 21 14:41:19 MDT 2005

> I've been strictly a web scripter with Perl and PHP and I am wanting to
branch out...Anyhoo, recommendations are very appreciated.

this is probably more than you wanted to hear, but i sincerely believe this:

i dont know what station in life you're at, but if it seems do-able, put
your career on hold and i'd try to get into the hardest/best rated computer
science 4 year program you can find in the country, that will accept you.
take out a student loan if necessary.

go pay your dues, invest in yourself.  it's worth the time/money.

if you are 'old' and going (back) to school is not something you can
reasonably do, then go find some really smart people working on a really
smart project and hope they let you do some menial related work - take a pay
cut if you have to.  surround yourself with people smarter than you and if
necessary, get out of utah if it's required (but come back after you are
done and help out around here!)

again, pay your dues, invest in yourself.

ymmv,

Josh Coates
www.jcoates.org