Languages and Books

Eric Jensen eric at emstraffic.com
Thu Jul 21 14:10:48 MDT 2005

I've been strictly a web scripter with Perl and PHP and I am wanting to
branch out.  I've seen you guys talk about all kinds of books and
languages and so I am asking for a few recommendations and opinions.  I
took a C/C++ class 6 or 7 years ago and have been really thinking of
resuming that so I can make some Windows/X-Windows apps.  I'd rather
learn on my own since my last C/C++ instructor was horrid.  He was way
too hard core nerd and loved math and Fortran.  Out of 30+ students, 2
would pass his Intro class and that is because it was their 2nd or 3rd
time through.  He eventually had a nervous break down and they found him
running around town naked and screaming incomprehensibly.  So I am a
little hesitant to go that route again.  Anyhoo, recommendations are
very appreciated.

Eric