Yum vs Apt (was Re: Fedora Core 4 Yum and Playboy?)

Doran Barton fozz at iodynamics.com
Thu Jul 21 12:47:40 MDT 2005

Doran Barton wrote:
> Yum is superior to apt4rpm in just about every way now. There's really
> no good reason to continue using apt4rpm.

I've had some people reply to me off-list (what's up with that?!) about this
comment saying that apt4rpm is much faster than yum. If you were using yum w/
FC4 you wouldn't be saying that.

apt4rpm was a great blessing when it first came on the scene, but it is and
always will be a hack to superimpose apt package management (designed for
Debian) on top of RPM packages. Yum, on the other hand, was built from the
ground up for RPM.

For example, with FC4 XFCE isn't included on the installation discs, but it
is available from the extras repository. It's a lot of packages... but I can
do this:

   yum grouplist

Get the list of groups (basically from the comps.xml). I see "XFCE" in there:

   yum groupinstall XFCE

Lo and behold, all those packages come down and get installed along with any
dependencies. And, it aint slow (anymore).

Trust me guys, apt4rpm taught the RPM world a lesson and yum is the response.
It has crossed the threshold and can hold its own now. There's a reason the
third-party RPM repository maintainers (e.g. Dag, freshRPMs, Dries, etc.) are
advocating yum over apt4rpm. I held onto apt4rpm for a while too, but I never
looked back once I made the switch.

  "Panda mating fails; veterinarian takes over"
     -- Headline seen in newspaper