Self Employment

Kimball Larsen kimball at kimballlarsen.com
Thu Jul 21 08:36:50 MDT 2005

On Jul 15, 2005, at 5:17 PM, Doran Barton wrote:

> Not long ago, Hans Fugal proclaimed...
>
>> I tried the archives because I could swear we discussed this
>> recently,
>> but to no avail. I blame the plug sysadmin.
>>
>> I'm going to start doing some contract work. I always hear these
>> jargon-filled statements about setting up some sort of corporation or
>> LLC or something, but I have no clue what that all means yet. But
>> I set
>> up my own DNS and mail servers so maybe this is for me. ;-) Where
>> do you
>> find the manpages about this stuff?
>>
>> We discussed getting yourself an accountant, that much I did find. Is
>> that still good advice for part-time consulting work? Will any old
>> (or
>> young) accountant do, or do they have to specialize in self
>> employment
>> stuff?
>>

> Well, talking to a good tax accountant will be the best way to get
> an idea
> of which business type is best for the amount of income you plan to
> bring
> in. If you're only making a couple thousand dollars a year from your
> business, an accountant may tell you to not even bother - just do
> everything under your SSN and file it as "extra income."

I would like to chime in here as well - I've set up an S-Corp mainly
to avoid the double taxation that I was beginning to feel with my
side jobs.  When I set it up, the corp only did about $3-4k/year.  At
the time we set it up, we talked to an accountant who suggested 2
things:

     First, if the corp is only making $3-4k/year, it's probably a
bit early to be going through the hassle of setting one up.  He
suggested I wait until the corp was making at least $10k/year to make
it worth the time.

     Second, for our purposes an S-Corp was a better plan than an
LLC.  I don't recall the exact reasons, but our situation is that we
don't have any other employees, my wife and I are the only officers,
but we had the potential to grow significantly.

Then he billed me $150. :-(

We have always done all our own paperwork for taxes and accounting.
Filing taxes for an S-Corp sounds daunting, but it is really not all
that complicated in the end.  My wife does the books, and she just
uses Quickbooks (I know, I know.. ) which actually makes the tasks
you have to do pretty easy.

Let me know if you have other questions - but it sounds like the
other responses on this list have lots of good suggestions as well.

-- Kimball