Linux and Philosophy

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 17:18:49 MDT 2005

> Uh, I sort of agreed with you until this paragraph.  Apple already
> makes most of their profit from hardware sales, but why would they
> want to get rid of the software revenue they currently have?

They wouldn't.

> Besides which, they already open source some of their software, mostly that
> which was open source to begin with.  This is the most sane model, in
> my opinion--you open source that which it makes sense to, and keep
> the parts proprietary that give you a competitive advantage.

I agree.  However, most OSS is covered under the GPL which prevents
co-existance between OSS and proprietery software at the source-code
level.  Apple is using code covered under the BSD license.

> The silliest part, though, is asserting that libre software could be
> forced to be non-gratis by a DRM scheme.  An effective DRM scheme
> kind of kills the libre aspect, doesn't it?

I'm not advicating this position.  I was just making a point that a
service/support based revenue model isn't always the best model for a
software business or the consumers of that product.

-Bryan