2005 OLS is this week!

Chris Carey chris_carey at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 18 16:11:43 MDT 2005

By non-key I meant non-public/private-key systems.

I found this on the net which looks interesting:

--snip--

GnuPG-key encrypted means that a filesystem key (which
is just a long line
of random characters) is encrypted with GnuPG,
possibly with more than one
person's public key. Actual filesystem encryption is
done exactly same as
before with AES256, serpent256, or whatever. GnuPG-key
just adds the benefit
that multiple users can mount with their own GnuPG
private key, and each
user can change their own GnuPG passphrase any time
they want.

In corporate environment it may be useful if
filesystem key is encrypted
with corporate IT department public key. An employee
can change his GnuPG
passphrase at any time, get hit by a bus, and drop
dead. Corporate IT
department dudes can still use their private key to
mount the partition.

--snip--