nslookup and postfix

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Sun Jul 17 21:30:58 MDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-17 at 19:17 -0600, bibhor dhungel wrote:
> hi,
> I just transferred the DNS for a company to another server (FedoraCore
> 3) and i have been playing with the postfix. one of the problems i am
> having is nslookup not working properly. For example when i type:
> "nslookup servername" i get the "correct ip". But when i type
> "nslookup ip.ip.ip.ip" i dont get the correct "servername". i heard
> that some of the servers (like aol) do a reverse lookup when receiving
> mail and then reject the email if these give two different results.
> Is there a way to change this?

Lots of mail servers will do a reverse lookup. AOL is probably the most
notable one who will reject mail if it fails, so you're right to get
this set up properly.

You need to contact the responsible party for your IP block. That will
likely be your network provider (also try 'whois <ip>'). They'll know
what you're talking about.

Corey