nslookup and postfix

bibhor dhungel bibhor at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 19:17:04 MDT 2005

hi,
I just transferred the DNS for a company to another server (FedoraCore
3) and i have been playing with the postfix. one of the problems i am
having is nslookup not working properly. For example when i type:
"nslookup servername" i get the "correct ip". But when i type
"nslookup ip.ip.ip.ip" i dont get the correct "servername". i heard
that some of the servers (like aol) do a reverse lookup when receiving
mail and then reject the email if these give two different results.
Is there a way to change this?
Also, the postfix server is not working properly. i installed the
postfix with cyrus-imapd and they both installed without problem. When
i try sending email from the command line it goes without problem but
when i try sending email to the server it doesnt even get there (as if
the DNS is not resolved). here's my postfix main.cf (lines which i
added)
myhostname = www.server.com
mydomain = server.com
myorigin = $mydomain
destination =
local_recipient_maps =
mynetworks = ip.ip.ip.ip
relay_domains = $mydestination
message_size_limit = 10485760
smtpd_helo_required = yes
disable_vrfy_command = yes
recipient_delimiter =
smtpd_client_restrictions = check_client_access
hash:/etc/postfix/client_access,reject_rbl_client sbl.spamhaus.org,
reject_rbl_client relays.ordb.org, reject_rbl_clientopm.blitzed.org,
reject_rbl_client list.dsbl.org,reject_rbl_client
cbl.abuseat.org,reject_rbl_client dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net,
reject_rbl_client dun.dnsrbl.net
smtpd_helo_restrictions = check_helo_access
hash:/etc/postfix/helo_access,reject_invalid_hostname,
reject_non_fqdn_hostname
smtpd_sender_restrictions = check_sender_access
hash:/etc/postfix/sender_access,reject_non_fqdn_sender,
reject_unknown_sender_domain, reject_rhsbl_sender
relays.ordb.org,reject_rhsbl_sender opm.blitzed.org,
reject_rhsbl_sender dun.dnsrbl.net
smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
reject_non_fqdn_recipient,reject_unknown_recipient_domain,permit_mynetworks,
reject_unauth_destination,
check_recipient_accesshash:/etc/postfix/recipient_access
smtpd_data_restrictions = reject_unauth_pipelining
mailbox_transport = lmtp:unix:/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp
i added this line to transport database in main.cf:
server.com     smtp:[server.ip]