Linux and Philosophy'

tuxgirl at gmail.com tuxgirl at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 00:30:37 MDT 2005

On Sat, Jul 16, 2005 at 09:35:37PM -0600, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 20:04 -0600, Stephen Shaw wrote:
> > I'm writing a paper for my ethics and values class at UVSC and my topic
> > is Linux.  The approach that I'm taking is Open Source: Restoring
> > Freedom.  The idea is that Microsoft has stolen our freedom to choose
> > and that with all the things that surround Linux and the Open Source
> > community we regain that freedom of choose. ie apps, OS, etc.  I was
> > wondering what others thought about this.

A couple people here have already heard this, but my dad made an
interesting observation one day when I was trying to explain the idea of
OSS to him.  he compared what software companies have done with patents
to the patenting of medical procedures (which has happened recently),
and then compared proprietary software with doctors who discover
revolutionary ways of treating patients, and then refuse to disclose the
methods with other doctors, because they want to be the only ones who
know it.  I thought it was an interesting and somewhat powerful
analogy...

Erin Sharmahd           TuxGirl at gmail.com
CS Student              Unix Users Group
PGP Fingerprint:
F352 FF41 EA0A 67E4 566B 3B5B E65A D3DC 083E 9336