Linux and Philosophy

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Sat Jul 16 22:42:42 MDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 22:22 -0600, Doran Barton wrote:
> I agree with Stuart: Don't mention Microsoft by name -- they are just a
> heavyweight amongst proprietary software vendors.

If you do mention MSFT, be sure to include others such as Oracle, Adobe,
etc. They've also been guilty of some nasty behavior. It's not uncommmon
for businesses and schools to pay for Windows multiple times. Once
bundled with the hardware, a second time bundled with a support
contract, and sometimes more. I personally think, however, that Oracle's
sales people put MSFT to shame. Particularly their notorious contract
with the state of California. Adobe's had some good one's too. My
favorite being their invocation of the DMCA to protect rot13. And those
are just off the top of my head... Wasn't Intuit the company that
toasted people's boot sectors to protect their tax preparation software?

Stuart Jansen                   e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org

using enough of it." - Chris Maden