Linux and Philosophy

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Sat Jul 16 21:35:37 MDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 20:04 -0600, Stephen Shaw wrote:
> I'm writing a paper for my ethics and values class at UVSC and my topic
> is Linux.  The approach that I'm taking is Open Source: Restoring
> Freedom.  The idea is that Microsoft has stolen our freedom to choose
> and that with all the things that surround Linux and the Open Source
> community we regain that freedom of choose. ie apps, OS, etc.  I was
> wondering what others thought about this.

A good counter example of how the values and philosophy that make Linux
so wonderful can be preempted and twisted, do a google search for
"sveasoft gpl violation."  This guy has really done what Microsoft would
love to but never found a way to do: perverted the GPL in a way that is
barely legal for his own sole gain.

Michael