Self Employment

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Fri Jul 15 16:54:57 MDT 2005

On Jul 15, 2005, at 4:09 PM, Hans Fugal wrote:

> I'm going to start doing some contract work. I always hear these
> jargon-filled statements about setting up some sort of corporation or
> LLC or something, but I have no clue what that all means yet. But I
> set
> up my own DNS and mail servers so maybe this is for me. ;-) Where
> do you
> find the manpages about this stuff?

I don't have any answers, but I've always been attracted to the idea
of self-employment.  Well, I do have one answer, and that's that you
can find out all about the different kinds of corporations and such
from a business law textbook.  But I'd be interested in a write-up
that describes the experience of coming up with a business idea,
finding initial clients, doing advertising, how to choose a
corporation type and get it set up, and any other important things
I'm not aware of or remembering at the moment.  I suppose an
entrepreneurial class would teach a lot of those, but something more
tech-oriented would be handy.  Anyone want to do it for me? ;)

         --Levi