UT Lisp Users Group?

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Thu Jul 14 13:24:12 MDT 2005

On Jul 14, 2005, at 1:01 PM, Mister E wrote:

> but as to the original topic: I've sorta ignored this thread, but
> Lisp sounds interesting, and I don't have any real experience with
> it, so I'd be interested in being a newbie on it.

The books mentioned in the original post in this thread are available
online.

Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs is not so much a
Lisp text as it is a Computer Science text, but you learn a great
deal of Scheme (a Lisp dialect) along the way.  It comes highly
recommended from CS academia.  There are even video lectures
available online.

SICP: http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/
Video lectures: http://swiss.csail.mit.edu/classes/6.001/abelson-
sussman-lectures/

Practical Common Lisp is a tutorial-style introduction to Common
Lisp, which is kind of an amalgamation of the high points of the
Lisps that came before it, including Scheme.  It's got detailed
coverage of most of the language, and has great example code that
actually does useful things and demonstrates how you'd write real-
world code.  Stuff like spam filtering, unit tests, id3 tag reading,
mp3 streaming, web apps, etc.  I highly recommend it; it's also way
more accessible to the casual dabbler than SICP, which is pretty
intense.

PCL: http://gigamonkeys.com/book/

         --Levi