UT Lisp Users Group?

Jonathan Ellis jonathan at carnageblender.com
Wed Jul 13 17:59:22 MDT 2005

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 17:12:24 -0600, "Levi Pearson" <levi at cold.org> said:
> I recently came across a paper discussing this topic--the comparison
> of the current state of software engineering to the early years of
> traditional engineering, how formal training and science/math were
> applied to bring about our current engineering discipline, and how
> software engineering is likely to move that way in the future.

This is an appealing idea to many.  The reason I don't buy it is
historical: most CS departments started out as branches of math.  Some,
like MIT's, grew out of EE.  If "formal training and science/math" could
combine to impose beautiful structure and organization on software
development chaos, I think it would have happened long ago.

-Jonathan