UT Lisp Users Group?

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Wed Jul 13 17:12:24 MDT 2005

On Jul 13, 2005, at 4:20 PM, Josh Coates wrote:

> we also talked a lot about jiffy lube, and the idea that someone
> who works
> at jiffy lube is not the same as someone who designs engines - but
> in the
> early days, a mechanic == automotive engineer, but that's not the case
> anymore.

I recently came across a paper discussing this topic--the comparison
of the current state of software engineering to the early years of
traditional engineering, how formal training and science/math were
applied to bring about our current engineering discipline, and how
software engineering is likely to move that way in the future.

If you're interested, it's at: http://international-lisp-
conference.org/multimedia/allen-paper.pdf

         --Levi