UT Lisp Users Group?

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Wed Jul 13 16:12:09 MDT 2005

On Jul 13, 2005, at 3:26 PM, Gabriel Gunderson wrote:

> This smells like the language snobbery that we had at the plug
> meeting a
> while back.  It's all about ego (some egos being *quite* large).
> If you
> can't convince your nerdy friends that you're smart then what do you
> have?
>
> Me, I don't give a rat's tail.  I know I'm numb and don't feel the
> need
> to prove otherwise.  Give me what works and what works well; I'll use
> it.  I'll look at the other languages for fun but go back to what I
> know
> to make things work.

Claiming that all languages are not equal is not necessarily
'language snobbery' at all.  If that were the case, we'd all still be
using Fortran.  Because once you have a language that abstracts
beyond assembly language, they're all the same anyway, right?  No one
needs recursion, objects, or any of this new-fangled stuff anyway.
Maybe you look at Algol for fun, but you go back to Fortran because
you know it and it gets the job done!

Just because you've only been exposed to languages that work with the
same paradigms doesn't mean that they're all the same.  And if you
don't move on with the state of the art, you're going to find out
you're using the equivalent of Fortran in the age of C.

             --Levi