*WAY* OT: Pete Ashdown for Utah Senator in 2006

Merrill Oveson moveson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 14:33:54 MDT 2005

On 7/13/05, Jason Hall <jason at infogenix.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 July 2005 06:56 pm, Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> > Since when does the government force club organizations to alter their
> > practices
>
> Actually, this has been an issue that has been growing the last few years.
> Take the Boy Scouts for example.  Every year there is another lawsuit
> attempting to force them to change certain practices (Gay Leaders, Requiring
> belief in a Supreme Being, etc)  Every year the courts come closer to
> literally forcing them to change.  This is why the LDS and Catholic churces
> (who make up ~80% of registered units) have had to make a joint statement
> saying they would leave scouting when any of those issues were forced.
>
> --
> Jayce^

I believe the courts have ruled and continue to rule that since the
BSA is a private organization and receives no funding whatsoever from
Federal, State or Local governments that the BSA is entitled to
practice whatever discrimination it so chooses, including exempting as
you state (gay leaders, professed atheiests, etc).  The Citadel, for
example, up until the early 1990s disallowed woman cadets, however
since it was funded by government (Either State or Federal, I can't
remember which) its policies and practices came under those
(governmental) requirements.  Hence, when the Citadel was sued to
allow women cadets, the courts agreed, and women are now admitted at
the Citadel.  Heaven forbid, if the courts ruled in favor of mandating
to the BSA what the BSA's rules for admission had to be.  No private
club, no private university, no religion would be safe - I believe
this is part of the argument communicated each time the BSA is sued on
these discrimination issues.