UT Lisp Users Group?

Derek Davis derek.davis at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 12:08:30 MDT 2005

> Translation of Paul Graham's rant:
>
> Blah, blah, blah...  C/C++, Oracle, and Java (or anything mainstream)
> is for suxors...  Blah, blah, blah...  Your coolness is directly tied
> to the obscurity of the programming language you use.  Blah, blah.
> Please for the love of all that's holly someon use my langauge, Arc.
> If you do, you're totally uber 1337!  And if you don't use Arc or
> Lisp, your business is not competitive.  Blah, blah, blah.
>
> Ummmm...  Thanks Mr. Graham.  Yes, you're quite the authority on what
> technology a company should use to maximize competitiveness.
>
> -Bryan

As far as I can tell, he never claimed to be an authority.  He is
stating his observation and interpretation.  He had years of looking
at competition, and he noticed a trend.  He mentioned what he saw.  He
didn't say that Lisp was a better language (at least, not in this
quote), nor that you are cooler for using it, not that its obscurity
is relevant.  He didn't even mention Arc, which isn't "ready yet for
general consumption" according to his website.  He merely noted that
he had seen a correlation between the programming language companies
were looking for and their potential competitiveness.

So, are you saying that he was mistaken, he didn't see that
correlation?  Or that he should not have mentioned it out loud because
he is not an "authority"?  Or something else that I'm missing?

-Derek