UT Lisp Users Group?

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Wed Jul 13 12:11:13 MDT 2005

Bryan Sant wrote:
>>Choosing a language like Perl or Python requires a little
>>more bravery. Because the company is accepting a larger "risk"
>
> I *COMPLETELY* agree.

The greater the risk, the greater the potential reward.

> I believe that those who use Lisp or Python or Perl are smart people.
> I also think that those who use C or C++ or Java are smart too.  I
> believe your first statement is so true.  It's the people that you
> hire that matter the most, not the programming language they use.
> Paul Graham is a bigot.  He's trying to make an argument that if a
> company uses Oracle and C++ they are less of the threat than someone
> who uses Lisp.  Ya -- I think companies that hire whites are more of a
> threat than those who hire orientals...  Ummm...  Sure.

A few years ago, a similar pattern existed around Java.  Java was
smaller and more productive than the mainstream languages, but there
weren't many people with Java skills, so it was risky for companies to
use Java.  Job listings that expected Java were a pretty strong
indication of a good high tech company.  Today, the popularity matrix is
different, but the pattern still applies.

Shane