UT Lisp Users Group?

Matthew Walker matt at thebraingarden.com
Wed Jul 13 11:53:53 MDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 11:48 -0600, Bryan Sant wrote:

> I believe that those who use Lisp or Python or Perl are smart people.
> I also think that those who use C or C++ or Java are smart too.  I
> believe your first statement is so true.  It's the people that you
> hire that matter the most, not the programming language they use.
> Paul Graham is a bigot.  He's trying to make an argument that if a
> company uses Oracle and C++ they are less of the threat than someone
> who uses Lisp.  Ya -- I think companies that hire whites are more of a
> threat than those who hire orientals...  Ummm...  Sure.

You're missing some of the points of the thread as well. Yeah, anyone
who can program is 'smart'. But a lot of people who program mainstream
languages don't do it because they love it. They're capable people who
got into computers to make some money.

Conversely, the large majority of people who know how to program Lisp
did /not/ learn in to make money. They learned it because they already
know how to program in some other language, and thought Lisp was cool or
useful in same way, so they decided to learn it. These are the kind of
people who are self-motivated learners, who are most likely programming
because they enjoy it. People who enjoy their work make better
employees, and are more likely to do good work. Thus, hiring people who
can program it Lisp /is/ likely to make your company more of a threat,
because you're getting higher quality programmers.

--
Matthew Walker
The Brain Garden, Inc
matt at thebraingarden.com
Work: (801) 655-1075
Home: (801) 491-2079
Page: (801) 283-9887 (Emergencies Only)

Random Quote:
whats a one-liner explainging the difference between userspace
and kernel space?
user space is every thing that isn't kernel space.
klieber: ok. what is it that makes kernel space kernel space
then?
puggy: it's not user space.