UT Lisp Users Group?

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 10:42:06 MDT 2005

> During the years we worked on Viaweb I read a lot of job descriptions.
> A new competitor seemed to emerge out of the woodwork every month or
> so. The first thing I would do, after checking to see if they had a
> live online demo, was look at their job listings. After a couple years
> of this I could tell which companies to worry about and which not to.
> The more of an IT flavor the job descriptions had, the less dangerous
> the company was. The safest kind were the ones that wanted Oracle
> experience. You never had to worry about those. You were also safe if
> they said they wanted C++ or Java developers. If they wanted Perl or
> Python programmers, that would be a bit frightening-- that's starting
> to sound like a company where the technical side, at least, is run by
> real hackers. If I had ever seen a job posting looking for Lisp
> hackers, I would have been really worried.

Translation of Paul Graham's rant:

Blah, blah, blah...  C/C++, Oracle, and Java (or anything mainstream)
is for suxors...  Blah, blah, blah...  Your coolness is directly tied
to the obscurity of the programming language you use.  Blah, blah.
Please for the love of all that's holly someon use my langauge, Arc.
If you do, you're totally uber 1337!  And if you don't use Arc or
Lisp, your business is not competitive.  Blah, blah, blah.

Ummmm...  Thanks Mr. Graham.  Yes, you're quite the authority on what
technology a company should use to maximize competitiveness.

-Bryan