*WAY* OT: Pete Ashdown for Utah Senator in 2006

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 10:24:09 MDT 2005

> Right, and then before we know it, the church will be constrained by
> the state to marry rednecks with their dogs across the temple
> altar. Seriously, this is about as ``slippery slope'' as one could get
> and is purely alarmist; it assumes an imposition of additional
> governmental interference.

That's exactly what would happen.  if the Church wanted to retain the
ability to have their temple sealers issue a marrige certificate, they
would have to abide by all the state rules.  I'm not sure about the
dog part, but they would be obliged to marry same-sex or forgo the
ability to legally marry at all (if same sex marriage was ever made
legal).

Why is the Church being so preemptive?  What do Mormons have to fear
from the government anyway?  I mean, it's not like it was LEGAL to
kill Mormons at one time...  Oh wait, it was.

-Bryan