UT Lisp Users Group?

Michael Halcrow mike at halcrow.us
Tue Jul 12 20:23:19 MDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 05:07:37PM -0600, Roberto Mello wrote:
> If we can't find one, we'd like to start one initially in UT
> county. We plan to have Lisp-learning presentations with exercises,
> initially focusing on SICP (Structure and Interpretation of Computer
> Programs, MIT Press) and PCL (Practical Common Lisp, Apress).

I heard a quote from the head of a small and successful tech company
in Austin. It went something like:

``Every so often I look in the job ads to get a scoop on the local
competition. Whenever I find an ad requiring C, C++, or Java
experience, I can entirely dismiss the company as any kind of
potential threat. When I see Perl, Python, or Ruby, then I keep my eye
on those companies. But when I see a requirement for LISP experience,
then I really know that I had better watch out for that competitor.''

Mike
Diogenes, having abandoned his search for truth, is now searching for
a good fantasy.