remote reset

C. Ed Felt edfelt at
Tue Jul 12 17:53:12 MDT 2005

jeff wrote:

> I'll use nagios for monitoring.
> Ryan Erickson wrote:
>> There are commercially-available watchdog timers and heartbeat monitors
>> available.  I unfortunately don't have a recommendation, as I've never
>> needed them.
>> Something like this, assuming you can get Linux software for the
>> heartbeat...
>> If I were doing it for a home / non-commercial setting, I'd probably
>> just
>> build something with a Basic Stamp to monitor the serial tty, and
>> look for
>> the panic message and / or a heartbeat message sent to the tty.  It'd be
>> easy to have the Basic Stamp open / close a contact to cause a relay
>> closure attached to the reset button.
>> Ryan
> snip

I have some experience writing scripts to reboot a server via serial
connection to an RPS-10 when the network goes down.  For a cheap price
and a little scripting (mine is in Python) you can get what you need to
power cycle a server when the Network goes down (or any other situation
for that matter):

- Ed Felt